Makes: 1 – 9″ cake
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup Greek yogurt with honey
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 pound seasonal fruit, sliced lengthwise
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch pan or pie plate very well.
- Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix until it’s pale colored and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add the egg, yogurt, milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Mix on medium high for about 3 minutes.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and whisk together very well to distribute it evenly through the flour.
- Reduce the mixer to its lowest speed and gradually add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl until most of it is mixed into the yogurt mixture. Finish mixing the flour in with a spatula until the flour is completely mixed in. The batter will be thick.
- Spoon the batter into the buttered cake pan or pie plate and smooth with a spatula to even it out. Place the sliced fruit on top, gently pressing them into the batter.
- Pop the cake in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 325 degrees and bake until the cake is firm to the touch (about 50 minutes).
Enjoy this soft fluffy dessert or sneak in a piece for breakfast with some hot coffee!