This cake is a standard yellow homemade cake with 1/2 can of crushed pineapple and homemade whipped cream as the frosting to keep it light and airy.
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, cubed and at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 can of crushed pineapple
Putting it all together:
- Set a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Very lightly grease the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch pan.
In a medium bowl, thoroughly whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the half-and-half and vanilla. Crack the eggs into a small bowl or liquid measuring cup.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar on low-speed for 3 minutes, until pale and fluffy. If there are any bits of unincorporated sugar and/or butter on the sides or bottom of the bowl, use a spatula to incorporate them and mix for an additional 30 seconds.
- Slowly add the eggs, one at a time, stopping to scrape down the bowl all the way to the bottom after the second and final egg. The batter may begin to look slightly broken by the end of this step; it’s ok.
On medium speed, swiftly alternate between adding the dry and wet ingredients, starting and ending with the dry. This shouldn’t take longer than a minute.
- Thoroughly scrape down the bowl, all the way to the bottom, to make sure there are no hidden dry patches. Turn the speed up to medium and mix for an additional 30 seconds to help build the structure of the batter. Do not skip this step. Stir in the pineapple and incorporate into the batter.
- Spread the cake batter evenly into the prepared cake pan. Use an offset spatula to even out the tops (don’t skip this step or the cake may not rise evenly).
Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Cool to room temperature before removing from the pan.
2 cups of heavy cream and 1 tablespoon of sugar
Mix until soft peaks forms. Spread on the cake and spread some joy!!!